It can be very daunting when the time comes that you want to setup a website for your own business or project. There are seemingly hundreds of different things to consider – such as web hosting, domain hosting, email access, what software to use to manage your content, what hosting company and website designer to choose; etcetera.
Your To-Do List:
1. Website Hosting/Domain Hosting
- Simply put – you need a place to host the files that make up your website, and a service to host your domain name (www.walruscafe.com etc). A website design service can set all this up for you, or you can choose your own hosting provider.
- If you want to choose the hosting provider(s) yourself, it would be easiest to buy your website and domain hosting both at the same provider, and many hosts will have packages and deals incorporating web and domain hosting which may allow you to save money.
2. Website Design
- You need the website structure itself, the design and layout of the website. A website design service can do this for you. You will want to think about what style design you want, and what features you may require, like a blog or gallery for example
- You need to have the content ready of the website, such as photos, text, articles, videos. You can send this to your website designer and you can discuss with them how they can specifically place this content in to the website.
- It may be possible that you do not have some needed content already, that you need to have made from scratch. If your website designer can do this, you can discuss such graphic design needs with them.
4. Content Management
- Do you want to be able to constantly update and post new information on your website like with a blog? Or do you just want a specific amount of information displayed on your website which will hardly if ever change? Will your website be constantly changing or remain static? Content management systems (CMS) like WordPress are wonderful for easily editing, modifying and updating websites – for designers and laypersons alike – which is why its the main CMS that we use to construct websites with. Security updates are also fast and simple to do. Other popular CMS platforms include: Joomla, Magento and Drupal.
5. SEO/Social Media
- SEO, or Search Engine Optimization, involves improving a website’s search rankings and visibility in search engines like Google, Bing and DuckDuckGo. This can play a major role in letting more people see and visit your website. The process of SEO itself can take time, since its largely an automated process which occurs with time as more people visit and use your website. It is important to discuss with your website designer how they can try to maximize your website’s SEO potential.
- Social Media is undeniably a huge part of what makes websites successful and popular. Though social media itself is a different area of the internet that is not strictly in the specific area of website design, your website designer may be able to help you setup social media pages and give you tips for how to improve your organization or project’s social media presence.